Friday 21 November 2014

The Junk Lady

I have a making and doing (up) mentality.  I love salerooms and can hardly walk past a skip without wanting to trawl through it for goodies to revamp- so sad.  The only thing that really stops me gathering more 'treasures' (okay, junk to some) is lack of space. I love making arty farty bits and pieces too, it was almost an obsession but weekly counselling and drug (wine) therapy helped me. I'm joking..........a bit.

I am managing this new chemotherapy quite well but it does sap my energy so, for now, I'm doing less hiking, having fewer days out (oh, the joy of not working full time!) and hardly any visits to wine bars. Rest assured though, I will make up for it in the New Year! Instead, I have the tidiest drawers and cupboards ever. I rediscovered boxes of arty materials along the way too and I have been having lots of fun using them - well as much as you can have on your own that is, I don't want to sound too sad! I've made cards, Christmas decs, brooches and painted pieces of furniture. 

Before the dastardly cancer started, I was in the throes of a new business which was all about arts/crafts/creativity, alongside the link with better health and well-being. Whilst all these activities are fun, the bigger picture is that spending time being creative (and that includes a whole range of things from music to D.I.Y. too)  is good for the soul and our health. Time flies when you are involved in the process and it can be very calming. Art is therapy, certainly for me.

So, as Christmas is looming, why not bring out the paint and glitter, raid the garden for foliage to make arrangements, get the children to make those lovely paper chains, make yummy sweets, visit one of those fab places where you can all paint ceramics or make some cards instead of buying then? Go on, you know you want to!

PS I'm adding a shop and a gallery in the New Year, mainly for cards and prints of my photographs and maybe the odd piece found in that skip too, ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment