Sunday 24 August 2014

In Praise of Sheds and Workshops

There is something special about sheds, particularly the ones which double as workshops. To me, they are places of creativity, problem solving opportunities, peace and fun. We grew up surrounded by valves, resistors, soldering irons and all the paraphernalia our dad would need to use his incredibly inventive mind to make a living or just for fun. Unfortunately for our mum, this all took place at home, in a room that also housed a full train set! How patient she was.

Me, posing in front of a 'spaghetti junction' of wires and with my first screwdriver - not that I'm much good at DIY today.

To the untrained eye, these dens may look like chaotic, untidy places. Surely not, you say! But look again and you will see organised chaos from whence nothing shall be moved....in case it alters a very important, creative thought process........or gets lost.

At only 20 or so, my first husband built and fixed motorcycles so his workroom (in his mum and dad's home) housed a large array of equipment, including random pieces of old bikes, lathes and welding gear. With those days long gone, together with a pal, he has had a furniture restoration business for years now.  I find their workshop fascinating and exactly as I would expect it to be - chaotic, messy but very productive and 'arty' in it's own way, just like the first one was.


Last year, sadly both dad and uncle Rao died. In his working life, uncle had been an engineer with British Airways and he had a proper shed, back in the day. Latterly, it housed all his tools; old boxes of nuts, bolts, screws; his paint splattered overalls and rusty tins of dried up paint, bless.  He also had wooden stepladders in various sizes - as you do! Of course, I took a couple of sets and they are now painted and being used again. Clearing the house was difficult but thinking about clearing the shed felt worse somehow. Thankfully, the new owner was a DIY guy and wanted to keep many things, which was brilliant for us. 


As for me, well I've always had somewhere to play, think, work or hide too.  My workshops were full of all my arty farty work 'unfinished masterpieces' which must never be thrown out - just in case I did ever finish them. Even better are the things we keep because 'this will come in handy one day' but I 'm not  sure when that will be....ah, happy days.  

Right, I'm off to buy a shed - or some new shelves at least!

Just for info, the blog is being updated soon and I am probably going to add a shop and a photo gallery. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment